Whereas we attempt to keep optimistic amid the COVID-19 pandemic — with a vaccine now in sight — a brand new well being scare has us worrying. Avian flu, often known as chicken flu, has created fairly a stir and other people have been questioning how harmful it’s, and what they will presumably do to remain secure. However whereas there’s an inflow of rumours, Dr Kirti Sabnis, Infectious Illness Specialist, Fortis Hospitals, Mumbai solutions some regularly requested questions for indianexpress.com.
What’s avian flu?
Avian influenza is the illness brought on by an infection with Avian (chicken) Influenza (flu) Sort A viruses. That is mentioned to happen naturally amongst wild aquatic birds worldwide and might infect home poultry and different birds and animals, in line with the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention (CDC). In keeping with the European Centre for Illness Prevention and Management (ECDC), H5N8, H5N5 and H5N1, with H5N8 are probably the most commonly-reported flu viruses amongst birds.
Does it have an effect on people?
In keeping with the CDC, Avian flu viruses don’t usually infect human beings. Such an an infection is uncommon, solely sporadic circumstances have been reported since 2015, in line with Mayo Clinic. If it does infect an individual, an infection is usually delicate and might require ICU care in a couple of sufferers. It’s uncommon to have a human-to-human transmission of the identical. Between 2003 and 2019, the WHO confirmed a complete of 861 human circumstances of H5N1 worldwide, of which 455 deaths have been recorded, though not from India.
What are the frequent signs?
* Sore throat
* Muscle aches
* Shortness of breath
How can one contract the virus?
Individuals can contract the chicken flu virus by shut contact with birds or chicken droppings. Some folks have caught the virus from cleansing or plucking contaminated birds. It is usually doable folks contract the virus whereas swimming or bathing in water contaminated with the droppings of contaminated birds.
Ought to one cease consuming rooster and eggs?
Hen and different poultry are fit for human consumption if cooked correctly, in line with a joint assertion by the UN Meals and Agriculture Group (FAO) and the WHO. No birds from flocks with the illness, nonetheless, ought to enter the meals chain, the authorities mentioned.
As per WHO, thorough cooking of poultry merchandise at or above 70° Celsius is essential. This ensures there isn’t any lively virus remaining if the stay chicken has been contaminated and has mistakenly entered the meals chain. Thus far, there isn’t any epidemiological proof that individuals have develop into contaminated after consuming contaminated poultry meat that has been correctly cooked. All in all, in its paramount to keep up good hygiene practices and keep alert on the signs.
In conclusion, listed below are some WHO really helpful good hygiene practices:
– No birds from flocks with the illness ought to enter the meals chain.
– Don’t eat uncooked poultry components, together with uncooked blood, or uncooked eggs in or from areas with outbreaks in poultry.
– Separate uncooked meat from cooked or ready-to-eat meals to keep away from contamination. Don’t use the identical chopping board or the identical knife. Don’t deal with each uncooked and cooked meals with out washing your arms in between and don’t place cooked meat again on the identical plate or floor it was on previous to cooking. Don’t use uncooked or soft-boiled eggs in meals preparations that won’t be heat-treated or cooked.
– Preserve clear and wash your arms. After dealing with frozen or thawed uncooked poultry or eggs, wash your arms completely with cleaning soap. Wash and disinfect all surfaces and utensils which were involved with the uncooked meat.
– Thorough cooking of poultry meat is critical. Both be sure that the poultry meat reaches 70°C on the centre of the product, or that the meat is just not pink in any half. Egg yolks shouldn’t be runny or liquid.