Whereas final 12 months it was not the case, this 12 months, increasingly more kids have began getting affected by the coronavirus an infection, as a part of the second wave. As such, mother and father could also be apprehensive about them, having a number of questions unanswered.
To handle their doubts and assuage them, Dr Sreenath S Manikanti, senior pediatrician and neonatologist at Fortis La-Femme Hospital in Bengaluru shared with indianexpress.com solutions to some FAQs about COVID-19 in kids. Learn on.
“The majority of children with COVID-19 are asymptomatic. Most will have mild illness, and 60-70 per cent are either asymptomatic or have mild disease. Very few children, who are symptomatic (1-2 per cent) require ICU care in tertiary centres,” the physician stated.
1. Is there a rise in an infection within the second wave in kids?
Sure, most likely due to a number of causes:
* Mutants, that are extra infectious.
* Laxity on a part of the household — COVID-appropriate behaviour was lowered.
* Now, PCR testing is simpler to do for youths, so extra children are identified with Covid.
2. Are the signs totally different within the second wave?
Signs are comparable. Fever, nevertheless, lasts longer and is barely extra. Adolescents seem to have longer fever of 5-6 days. Gastrointestinal signs similar to diarrhea, vomiting and belly ache are seen extra within the second wave, together with fever, physique aches and cough.
3. How do kids get contaminated?
Largely from different relations and siblings, going out to play. Mode of transmission is usually direct contact and airborne. Unfold via fomites has very much less probability.
4. If one household is constructive, ought to everybody together with asymptomatic kids be screened?
Sure, there are two causes to do a take a look at: < 0.1 per cent will develop extreme illness. However admission could also be troublesome on this scenario with out take a look at reviews; and to scale back transmission, for asymptomatic kids, get exams carried out 4-5 days after the grownup is constructive.
5. What exams are carried out if the kid is suspected to have Covid?
Ideally an RT-PCR. One can do a Speedy Ag take a look at in circumstances of problem of getting a report, nevertheless it’s much less delicate. Generally, sampling could also be insufficient, inflicting damaging exams. Therefore, even when the take a look at is damaging however the baby seems to be COVID-positive, we have to deal with it as constructive if there may be contact historical past. New variants are more likely to picked up with RT-PCR.
6. How you can handle a baby or a member of the family who’s Covid constructive?
Residence isolation, treating fever with Paracetamol above 100F, good hydration, regular eating regimen, and symptomatic therapy if gentle signs.
7. What to watch (if telephonic monitoring by pediatrician)?
Elevated respiration, breathlessness, elevated irritability, excessive grade fever persisting for greater than 4 days.
8. How you can deal with a baby if mother and father have examined constructive?
Isolation is troublesome in nuclear households; higher if the youthful baby is left with the mom. Dad and mom must put on masks and take precautions. If it’s an older baby, the mother or father who has examined damaging can deal with the kid. Sending them to grandparents’ might be dangerous, if asymptomatic. Check the kid earlier than doing that.