With this world disaster of Covid-19, it’s necessary to remain indoors to maintain ourselves secure and sound. Because the aged are reportedly extra vulnerable to coronavirus an infection, it’s all the extra mandatory for them to keep quarantined to maintain the an infection at bay. There may be the added concern of stiffness and physique ache, particularly amongst these with joint circumstances like arthritis.
It is vitally vital for the aged to maintain their physique lively to keep away from joint stiffness, physique pains and different illnesses. Throughout the Covid-19 lockdown, one should take particular care by way of physique motion, ache administration and observe way of life.
“Staying indoors is the need of the hour for everyone. Low immunity makes the elderly prone to COVID-19, hence it is even more important for them to stay at home. Since the lockdown, many of my patients, during the virtual consultation, are reporting increased knee pain and discomfort. For arthritis patients, living an active lifestyle and maintaining optimum weight is crucial to effectively manage the debilitating pain,” says Dr Ramneek Mahajan, Director – Orthopaedics and Joint Substitute, Max Sensible Tremendous Speciality Hospital, Delhi.
He advises, “Every extra kilogram of weight can cause four times the pressure on the knees. Therefore, take a stroll inside the house every hour to keep your knees active and avoid sitting in one place for long. If your knees are swollen, use ice packs or heat packs for relief.”
Right here’s some recommendation on find out how to maintain your joints wholesome and keep lively throughout these troublesome occasions.
* Staying bodily lively can go a good distance in strengthening the muscle tissues across the joint, thereby maintaining arthritis ache at bay.
* With most individuals following the work-from-home regime, it’s important to take frequent breaks at work for stretching and readjusting posture.
* Having a nasty posture places additional strain on the joints, particularly the knee, which is the most important load-bearing joint within the physique. This will ultimately trigger knee ache.
* Maintain a tab in your weight and embrace weight-loss workout routines in your on a regular basis routine.
* Have a vitamin and mineral-rich eating regimen with spinach, cherries, orange, grapes, walnuts, soybean, ginger. Drink at the very least eight glasses of water day by day to maintain your joints well-lubricated and scale back irritation.
“Exercise plays a crucial role in managing arthritis pain. Being a degenerative joint condition, it can affect one’s quality of life severely if not dealt with properly. And leading an active, healthy lifestyle is the key to tackling joint pain,” explains Dr Narayan Hulse, Director of Orthopaedics and Joint Substitute Surgical procedure, Fortis Hospital, Bangalore.
He remarks, “A gym workout or outdoor exercise aren’t the only ways to stay fit and lose weight. You can burn calories even while staying at home. During this lockdown period, indulge in yoga and warm-ups, join your loved ones in home cleaning, revive your love for gardening or practice meditation. A good night’s sleep too can help work wonders for managing pain and stress. If arthritis pain makes your sleep uncomfortable, try using a pillow beneath to take the pressure off the joint.”