In India, summers are cruel. Whereas the character of the warmth is totally different — within the northern a part of the nation it’s dry, and within the south, there’s extra humidity — it could go away folks feeling intensely uncomfortable. In some circumstances, warmth could be deadly, too.
And whereas the nation is already struggling to comprise the unfold of the COVID-19 an infection, warmth waves can pose an added downside, if not taken care of.
Dr Sanjay Shah, normal doctor, Fortis Hospital Mulund, says excessive warmth can “result in increased hospitalisations for heat-related illnesses, as well as cardiovascular distress, brain stroke and respiratory disorders”.
“Extreme heat events can also trigger a ‘heat stroke’, which is a serious disorder. It means body temperatures of more than 104F, due to hot environmental conditions. It occurs when the body is unable to modulate its temperature. Here, the body temperature rises rapidly, the sweating mechanism fails, and the body cannot cool down. Heat waves generally lead to confusion, headaches, nausea, and dizziness. This condition can cause death or permanent disability if emergency treatment is not made available,” says Dr Shah.
Some important tricks to sort out this
1. Hold your self hydrated: At all times carry a bottle of water when open air. Ensure you drink loads of water and recent juices to offer your physique the additional hydration it must make it by means of the new days. You can even carry some glucose water for immediate vitality. In case your physician limits your fluid consumption for medical causes, verify how a lot water could be consumed throughout sizzling climate. Keep away from alcoholic, sizzling, or sugary drinks together with tea and occasional (they’ll make dehydration worse).
2. Have seasonal fruits, greens: Contemporary vegetables and fruit like mangoes, watermelons, cucumbers, inexperienced leafy veggies go a great distance in protecting you hydrated, whereas offering the much-needed nutritional vitamins and minerals. These should not solely simple to digest, however may even give your hydration ranges a lift.
3. Carry an umbrella every time you’re out: Ensure you carry an umbrella to protect your self from the tough rays of the solar.
4. Bathe twice a day: Bathing helps in bringing down the physique temperature. It’s best to wash with lukewarm water; research recommend taking a chilly bathe may very well swap you into ‘heat preservation’ mode.
The best way to handle heat-related misery
* Know whom to name if you happen to need assistance — medical doctors, civic authorities, and so forth.
* Observe your physician’s recommendation when you’ve got any medical situations.
* If you happen to really feel unwell, search medical help at your nearest hospital.
* Keep away from stepping out within the afternoon; desire sporting unfastened cotton garments (ideally in lighter colours).
* After you come back residence, have a chilly refreshing drink — like lemonade, buttermilk, coconut water or simply plain water.
After the heat-related misery has handed,
– Proceed to drink loads of fluids.
– Proceed consuming fruits and veggies as a nutritious diet.
– Take time to relaxation and recuperate as dealing with extraordinarily sizzling climate could be very tiring.
– Go to your physician if you happen to really feel unwell after the episode.