The month of April is taken into account to be Parkinson’s Consciousness Month, and April 11 is the day when annually, communities from world wide come collectively to boost consciousness in regards to the neurodegenerative dysfunction.
Based on Dr VP Singh, Chairman of the Institute of Neurosciences, Medanta, it’s the degeneration of dopamine producing cells within the mind that’s liable for the dysfunction. “Dopamine is the chemical that carries messages around the brain, and when its levels decrease, or not enough of it reaches the brain, patients develop features suggestive of Parkinson’s disease (PD). Initial features are hand tremors, slowness of activity and stiffness of body parts,” explains Dr Singh.
There are approach too many myths and misconceptions related to the illness, and Dr Singh debunks a few of them.
Fable 1: Parkinson’s is barely a motion associated situation
Truth: Along with motor signs, it additionally has non-motor signs like despair, REM sleep behaviour dysfunction (RBD), constipation, urinary incontinence, hypotension, and so forth.
Fable 2: Probably the most dominant symptom of Parkinson’s illness is tremors
Truth: Though tremors are one of many many signs, every affected particular person shows distinctive variations of the signs. Sufferers could develop few non-motor signs a few years earlier than creating the classical motor signs — tremor, slowness of actions or stiffness. These non-motor signs could also be constipation, despair, lack of scent sensation and REM sleep behaviour dysfunction (RBD).
Furthermore, tremors may also be seen in different circumstances like atypical Parkinsonism (problems which mimic like Parkinson’s illness), important tremor, drug induced tremor, alcohol associated tremor, and so forth.
Fable 3: Parkinson’s causes uncontrolled, spontaneous actions
Truth: Uncontrolled actions (known as dyskinesias) develops in PD in superior stage attributable to a side-effect of levodopa. These actions might be very properly managed by dose modification or deep mind stimulation surgical procedure (DBS).
Fable 4: Parkinson’s illness can solely be handled by medicines
Truth: Way of life modifications are suggested in sufferers with PD. Consuming proper and wholesome meals, common train, yoga and meditation are a part of administration of PD. All these items will assist keep a way of independence and a greater high quality of life for an extended time period. Along with medical remedy, there’s a surgical remedy accessible for superior Parkinson’s illness, which is deep mind stimulation (DBS).
Fable 5: Parkinson’s is curable
Truth: Parkinson’s has no remedy until now. However, medicines, surgical procedure (DBS), physiotherapy and life-style modification assist sufferers to regulate signs, in addition to have a very good high quality of life for an extended time period.
Fable 6: Parkinson’s is discovered solely in older individuals
Truth: This isn’t completely true. Though majority of sufferers are over the age of 60 years, early onset and teenage onset are being detected in lots of circumstances. In India about 25 per cent of sufferers develop signs suggestive of PD earlier than they flip 40.
Fable 7: Parkinson’s is deadly
Truth: Parkinson’s doesn’t trigger fatality instantly, not like a coronary heart assault or a stroke. The life-span relies upon upon the sort and high quality of care administered. However, it is very important watch out as a result of because the illness progresses, one could also be weak to falls that may be harmful.
Fable 8: Parkinson’s can’t happen in relations
Truth: This isn’t right. About 10 to fifteen per cent of sufferers do have household historical past of PD.
Fable 9: Parkinson’s might be cured by Stem Cell Remedy
Truth: This isn’t right. At the moment there isn’t any medical proof that PD might be handled or cured by any sort of stem cell remedy. That is nonetheless in an experimental stage.
If you’re on the lookout for methods during which PD might be managed, then Dr Singh advises that you simply do the next:
* Food plan: Devour a well-balanced food plan consisting of fibre and fluids, to scale back constipation. Additionally take enough consumption of salt to regulate low blood stress.
* Physiotherapy to offer aid from muscle stiffness and joint ache by motion and train.
* Occupational remedy to establish difficulties in day by day chores resembling dressing up, or strolling to the close by retailer, and applicable coaching to handle these higher.
* Speech and swallowing remedy for addressing speech issues and swallowing difficulties and correcting them.
* Drugs to scale back all of the signs of PD.
* Surgical procedure (deep mind stimulation) to enhance high quality of life in sufferers with superior Parkinson’s illness who’ve develop into proof against medical remedy, or who’ve extreme side-effects of drug remedy.
* Observe up with a physician: As it’s a progressive dysfunction, it wants common following up with a motion dysfunction neurologist, who would fine-tune the medicines relying on the situation of the affected person on follow-up analysis. That is probably the most important a part of managing the illness.